Instructions for Artists Accepted into the 2019 Fall Show
ROUND ROCK ARTS 2019 FALL ART SHOW
GALLERY OPENING & RECEPTION, SEPTEMBER 27 from 6:00-8:00pm
CALL FOR ARTWORK SUBMISSION INFORMATION
JURIED SHOW – CASH AWARDS
Round Rock Arts is currently sponsoring a Call for Art for The Fall Show to be exhibited at Texas State University- Round Rock.
Round Rock Arts is a proud supporter of local area artists. We would be pleased to consider your artwork for this juried and judged art exhibit with reception. We welcome you as a participant in the Open Call to Art process. Please see below for dates, times and details. If you have any questions, please inquire at email@example.com.
Age of entrants:
Entrants must be 16 yrs of age or older as of September 14, 2019. Parental consent is required for entrants who are under 18 years old on September 14, and the parent should initial the electronic form prior to payment as the artist agreement and waiver of liability is a binding document. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the required consent form or if you have any questions.
Cost of Entry:
Each applicant may submit one up to three (3) artworks for the $40 application fee. Only one application per person.
2D and 3D art to include all media (drawing, painting, mixed media, sculpture, photography, textile art, and similar material
Original works, designed and created by the entrant.
There is no theme for this show. Submissions are not limited to any theme.
Sizes and weight:
- 2D work and photography: maximum 65 inches in total height and 53 inches in width (including framing or appendages). Reminder- unframed canvas must be 1.5 inches or more in depth.
- 3D work maximum 48 inches on any side.
- Weight: maximum 50 lbs.
- Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted. All artwork will be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit.
Requirements for Preparing Your Work for Exhibition:
2D WORKS AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Wired for hanging. Must have D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. No sawtooth hangers accepted. No eye rings are accepted. Wire should be slightly taut, with minimal slack, so that art will hang flat to the wall. All framed work must be clean, stable and in good repair. Cracked frames or gaping joints or frames with broken glass will be rejected.
Frames are included in the total size of the work. All hanging works must be wired with D-rings and heavy picture wire attached securely for hanging. Frames must be clean, stable and in good repair.
Unframed stretched canvas:
Must be at least 1.5” minimum depth. ¾ inch canvas in not acceptable unless framed: The unframed canvas must be fully wrapped. The sides must be painted or finished. No staples will be visible. Must be wired for hanging. Must have D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. No sawtooth hangers accepted. All unframed work must be clean and in good repair.
The following videos provide information about our requirements for the types of wiring we require. More information is provided later in this document about our making minor repairs for a fee.
Shall be at least 1” minimum depth: Painted, stained or original unpainted sides. Cradle boards shall be wired for hanging with D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. All Cradle boards must be clean and in good repair.•
May be printed or painted on metal without a frame. The artwork must be hung on wire that can support the weight of the work and meets the weight limitations of 50 lbs.
Dimensions of 2D work:
Will not exceed 65” vertical and 53” horizontal overall (multi-part physically connected work must fit within these final dimensions) including the framing or other appendages.
The work’s surface is flat.
Will weigh 50 lbs or less.
All works on paper or fragile surfaces must be framed and under protective Plexiglas or glass. Plexiglass is REQUIRED for any painting larger than 24 inches on any one side. Paintings that meet this restriction that have glass instead of plexiglass will be rejected.
3D WORKS, including Sculpture, Fiber Arts, and other 3D dimensional material:
3D works on pedestals:
Pedestals for display must be provided by the artist. Art placed on pedestals must be set in place by the artist under supervision. The pedestal/stand must be able to safely hold the piece for the entire time it is on display. This includes being sturdy enough to not fall apart and designed so it does not easily fall if someone bumps into it.
Display cases are available for fragile and small pieces on request. Space is limited.
Hanging directions for 3D work:
If 3D artwork is to be hung on the gallery hanging system, each part of multi-part works must be labelled and include a diagram for hanging or assembly on each part (when not being placed by the artist). 3D artwork that is hanging must be stable and safe, and shall not exceed 50 lbs.
Hanging Work which cannot use the methods shown in the videos mentioned under 2D, such as fiber art and some other forms of 3D, must be supported by a dowel or similar alternative, or have either grommets or wire for hanging, and must hang flat without curling up. No sawtooth hangers accepted. Supports must be stable and in good repair.
Dimensions of 3D work:
Will not exceed 48” on any side (excluding pedestal).
Will weigh 50 lbs or less (not including pedestal).
Other important information:
- No work will be accepted that requires shipping to or from the venue.
- All work must be delivered and picked up at the place and time indicated in this document for this call. All packaging must be taken with the artist after the drop off. We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the indicated time.
- Work must meet all requirements in the call. Contact RRA if unsure at email@example.com.
- Art must be family-friendly as it will be displayed in a public space where minors are present. Round Rock Arts and host-site staff will determine acceptability. If unsure, contact Round Rock Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No work may be accepted if it was in another RRA event held at Texas State University-RR during the past 2 years.
- All work must be completely dry.
- RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that does not meet the requirements, including size, weight, quality of hardware and stability of framing and pedestal, acceptable digital image, payment of submission fee, completed form or other requirements.
- A $5.00 charge will be required, paid in cash or check, if RRA volunteers are asked by the artist to assist with correcting hardware. RRA volunteers will not be held liable for any damage resulting from assistance requested by the artist. Work will be turned away if it does not meet the hanging requirements or if we cannot fix the hanging problem. We encourage you to correctly wire your works before you come to the campus to avoid this fee or rejection of your work (no application refunds provided under any condition).
- Artist or representative must present the accepted work on the date and time required. No substitutions will be allowed.
- All work must remain on display for the full duration of the exhibit.
- Work requiring electricity is not accepted.
- For works that are not hung on a wall, the artist must provide the pedestal/stand that is required for the artwork.
Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12 midnight:
Deadline to submit the completed online form. Late entries will NOT be considered.
September 7-8, 2019:
Artists are notified by email of acceptance. Please check your inbox, promotions, and spam folders! There is no other form of notification! If you use a specialized spam identification system, please add the domain roundrockarts.org to the list of approved email sources.
Saturday September 14, 2019, 9am to 12pm:
Artists deliver art to Texas State University, Round Rock Campus, Avery Building, University Blvd, Round Rock, TX. Late deliveries cannot be accepted.
Friday, September 27, 2019 6pm to 8pm:
Reception and public opening. Light refreshments, music, and awards ceremony. Event is free and open to artists, family and friends, and the public.
Saturday Dec 7, 2019, 10 am to 12 pm:
Pick up art from Texas State University, Round Rock Campus, Avery Building, University Blvd, Round Rock, TX. If artwork is picked up by someone other than the artist, a note or email must be provided allowing some other person to pick it up. Have a question? Contact email@example.com.
Waiver of Liability:
The liability statement, in its entirety, is as follows:
“Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at The Downtowner Art Gallery, Jester Justice Center, or Texas State University-Round Rock. Round Rock Arts’ partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from me, my heirs, successors or assigns, from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.”
- Submission fee is $40 for up to three works for that single rate. Artworks are submitted in jpeg, png, or gif formats. Please limit size of jpegs to no more than 2 MB per image. When you fill in the form below, you will be forwarded to PayPal for payment. Maximum number of submissions per artist is three. Submission does not guarantee acceptance and all submission fees are non-refundable.
- Label the jpeg image file with your last name, first name, title of painting and size, i.e., Smith_Jane_Sunflowers in Spring_8x10. This helps the volunteers in matching the right picture with the right artist!!!
- Artist must complete and Artist Information and Waiver of Liability form.
- Artist is responsible for art delivery and pickup at dates specified upon notification of art selection.
EXHIBITING AND PICK UP EXPECTATIONS
The artist is expected to take all packing material with them after delivering art work. While plastic carts are available, it is expected that the artist will provide other means to cart heavy or unbalanced material into the building and up the elevator.
The artist must agree to display during the entire exhibit period. If a work is sold during the exhibit period, the art will remain in the exhibit until, Saturday, December 7, 2019. Artists who remove work before this date will be disqualified from entering any Round Rock arts exhibit the following year.
Art work that is not picked up on the date noted in the previous paragraph, without prior arrangements made 7 days in advance through Round Rock Arts, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock Arts. If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. No art will be left behind at TSU or stored for later pickup.
Sales are managed between the artist and the buyer. Round Rock Arts no longer handles sales transactions.
FAQ: When I bring my work to Texas State University, why would my work be rejected?
Common reasons include the following. Not all reasons are posted.
• Size constraint requirements not met. Remember to state the work’s size AS FRAMED
• Framing requirements not met
•Canvases smaller than 1.5″ not framed
• Plexiglas or glass requirements not met
• Hanging or display requirements not met
• Art work submitted does not resemble what was entered
• Artworks delivered before or after the announced time for check in
• Works are wet and/or uncured
• Electricity is required
• Special hooks are required or the hooks placed on the art work will not work on the TSU hanging system
• The work is considered unsafe.
• The work is deemed too fragile or delicate or fail to meet other requirements not mentioned above.