Instructions for Submitting Information for the
October 2019 We are Round Rock Show
The Downtowner Art Gallery
GALLERY OPENS OCTOBER 23, NOON
Juried and Judged Show- One $50 Award
Round Rock Arts is currently sponsoring a Call for Art for the We Are Round Rock Show to be exhibited at The Downtowner Gallery located at 231 E. Main Street, Ste 160.
Round Rock Arts is a proud supporter of local area artists. We would be pleased to consider your artwork for this juried and judged art exhibit. Please see below for dates, times and details. If you have any questions, please inquire at email@example.com. 30-35 pieces may be accepted depending on the sizes of the works submitted and accepted.
Age of entrants:
Entrants must be 16 yrs of age or older as of October 23. Parental consent is required for entrants who are under 18 years old on October 23, and the parent should initial the electronic form prior to payment as the artist agreement and waiver of liability is a binding document. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the required consent form or if you have any questions.
Cost of Entry:
Each applicant may submit one up to two (w) artworks for $15.00. Only one application per person.
2D and 3D art to include all media (drawing, painting, mixed media, sculpture, photography, textile art, and similar material
- Original works, designed and created by the entrant.
- There is no theme for this show. We encourage you to submit your best works on any subject.
- Submitted works must be family friendly for this public venue.
- Works must be completed between 2016 and the time of the show. All paint must be dry upon delivery of the work.
- Works are limited to 48 inches high by 36 inches wide. They must all hang on the wall securely. No pedestals or cabinets are available for this show.Other requirements are stated in various parts of this document. However, these are the core elements required on the form, in addition to a few others. Follow the directions on the form carefully.
Sizes and weight:
- All works are limited to 48 inches high and 36 inches wide.
- Weight: maximum 50 lbs.
- Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted. All artwork will be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit.
Requirements for Preparing Your Work for Exhibition:
2D WORKS AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Wired for hanging. Must have D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. No sawtooth hangers accepted. No eye rings are accepted. Wire should be slightly taut, with minimal slack, so that art will hang flat to the wall. All framed work must be clean, stable and in good repair. Cracked frames or gaping joints or frames with broken glass will be rejected.
Frames are included in the total size of the work. All hanging works must be wired with D-rings and heavy picture wire attached securely for hanging. Frames must be clean, stable and in good repair.
Unframed stretched canvas:
Must be at least 1.5” minimum depth. ¾ inch canvas in not acceptable unless framed: The unframed canvas must be fully wrapped. The sides must be painted or finished. No staples will be visible. Must be wired for hanging. Must have D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. No sawtooth hangers accepted. All unframed work must be clean and in good repair.
Shall be at least 1” minimum depth: Painted, stained or original unpainted sides. Cradle boards shall be wired for hanging with D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. All Cradle boards must be clean and in good repair.
May be printed or painted on metal without a frame. The artwork must be hung on wire that can support the weight of the work and meets the weight limitations of 50 lbs.
All works on paper or fragile surfaces must be framed and under protective Plexiglas or glass. Plexiglass is REQUIRED for any painting larger than 24 inches on any one side. Paintings that meet this restriction that have glass instead of plexiglass will be rejected.
3D WORKS, including Sculpture, Fiber Arts, and other 3D dimensional material that are hanging on the wall:
3D works on pedestals or requiring a cabinet:
None will be accepted for this show.
Hanging directions for 3D work:
If 3D artwork is to be hung on the gallery hanging system, the work must be stable and safe, and shall not exceed 50 pounds. If the work is multi-part, each work must be labeled and include a diagram for hanging and assembling. A multi-part work must fit within the stated dimensions as one piece, or 48 high x 36 wide.
Hanging Work which cannot use the methods mentioned under 2D must be supported by a dowel or similar alternative, or have either grommets or wire for hanging. The works must hang flat without curling up. No sawtooth hangers are accepted. Supports must be stable and in good repair.
Other important information:
- No work will be accepted that requires shipping to or from the venue.
- All work must be delivered and picked up at the place and time indicated in this document for this call. All packaging must be taken with the artist after the drop off. We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the indicated time.
- Work must meet all requirements in the call. Contact RRA if unsure at email@example.com.
- Art must be family-friendly as it will be displayed in a public space where minors are present. Round Rock Arts and host-site staff will determine acceptability. If unsure, contact Round Rock Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All work must be completely dry.
- RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that does not meet the requirements, including size, weight, quality of hardware and stability of framing and pedestal, acceptable digital image, payment of submission fee, completed form or other requirements.
- A $5.00 charge will be required, paid in cash or check, if RRA volunteers are asked by the artist to assist with correcting hardware. RRA volunteers will not be held liable for any damage resulting from assistance requested by the artist. Work will be turned away if it does not meet the hanging requirements or if we cannot fix the hanging problem. We encourage you to correctly wire your works before you come to the campus to avoid this fee or rejection of your work (no application refunds provided under any condition).
- Artist or representative must present the accepted work on the date and time required. No substitutions will be allowed.
- All work must remain on display for the full duration of the exhibit.
- Work requiring electricity is not accepted.
- Monday, October 7, 2019, midnight: Deadline for submission. Late submissions are not accepted. Please start the process no later than 11:15 pm.
- Monday, October 14, 2019, by midnight: Notification of accepted work
- Monday, October 21, 2019, 9:00-11:00 am: Delivery of accepted work
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019, noon: Exhibit opens
- Gallery Reception: October 26, 2019, 6:30-8:00
- Sunday, November 17, 2019, 6 pm: Exhibit closes
- Monday, November 18, 2019, 9:00-11:00 am: Pick up work
Waiver of Liability:
The liability statement, in its entirety, is as follows:
“Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at The Downtowner Art Gallery, Jester Justice Center, or Texas State University-Round Rock. Round Rock Arts’ partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from me, my heirs, successors or assigns, from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.”
ADDITIONAL SUBMISSION INFORMATION
- Artworks are submitted in jpeg, png, or gif formats. Please limit size of jpegs to no more than 2 MB per image. When you fill in the form below, you will be forwarded to PayPal for payment. Artists may only submit one application which has space to enter three submissions. Submission does not guarantee acceptance and submission fees are non-refundable.
- Label the jpeg image file with your last name, first name, title of painting and size, i.e., Smith_Jane_Sunflowers in Spring_8x10. This helps the volunteers in matching the right picture with the right artist!!!
- Artist must complete and Artist Information and Waiver of Liability form.
- Artist is responsible for art delivery and pickup at dates specified upon notification of art selection.
EXHIBITING AND PICK UP EXPECTATIONS
- The artist is expected to take all packing material with them after delivering art work. If a work is heavy, the artist should have a cart to roll the work in. It is best to use the parking garage which has an elevator and ramps to the plaza. The Downtowner Art Gallery is next to Prete Plaza.
- The artist must agree to display during the entire exhibit period. If a work is sold during the exhibit period, the art will remain in the exhibit until the pickup date of November 18. Artists who remove work before this date will be disqualified from entering any Round Rock gallery exhibits the following year.
- If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. No art will be left behind at The Downtowner Art Gallery. There is no secure storage in the facility.
- Sales are transacted between the artist and the buyer.
- Art work that is not picked up on the date noted in the previous paragraph, without prior arrangements made 7 days in advance through Round Rock Arts, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock Arts.
FAQ: When I bring my work to The Downtowner Gallery, why would my work be rejected?
Common reasons include the following. Not all reasons are posted.
• Size constraint requirements not met. Remember to state the work’s size AS FRAMED
• Framing requirements not met
•Canvases smaller than 1.5″ not framed
• Plexiglas or glass requirements not met
• Hanging or display requirements not met
• Art work submitted does not resemble what was entered
• Artworks delivered before or after the announced time for check in
• Works are wet and/or uncured
• Electricity is required
• Special hooks are required or the hooks placed on the art work will not work on the Downtowner hanging system
• The work is considered unsafe.
• The work is deemed too fragile or delicate or fail to meet other requirements not mentioned above.