September 16 to November 22,2020
Downtowner Gallery – 231 E Main Street #160, Round Rock, TX
How do we make sense of this strange new world due to Coronavirus? This juried exhibit will showcase Visual Art reflecting your personal response to the quarantine or inspired by some aspect of the global pandemic. What is the impact of this major pause and re-set for our planet? How has it changed your life or your relationships?
This show will serve as a historical record of a very strange but shared social experience. Our hope is that by the time the show opens at the Downtowner this fall, life has returned to normal and we celebrate with a public opening!
Submission is $5 per piece, 1-3 images per artist. Two-dimensional and three-dimensional visual art will be the primary focus of this show, including sketchbook journals (no touch display: on a table, open to a single page spread). No size or media restrictions.
Round Rock Arts is a proud supporter of artists in our community. We are pleased to consider your artwork for this juried art exhibit. Since we do not take commissions from sales, artists are encouraged to donate a portion of potential sales to Round Rock Arts to support future programming. We sincerely appreciate any contributions from our artists.
If you have any questions, please email DTcurator@roundrockarts.org
We are seeking creative expression related to the PANDEMIC or QUARANTINE following any of these themes:
- healing and catharsis
- sanctuary, distraction and escapism
- honest perspectives and responses
- self-reflection, processing and introspection
- solitude and loss
- a reflection on the way life has changed
- adjusting to the new ways of doing things
- silver linings, positives, appreciation and unexpected gifts
- effects of social distancing, isolation from friends and family
- human interdependence, empathy
- an escape or longing for normalcy
- humor and other coping strategies
- signs of hope for the future
Submission Deadline: Sunday August 23, 2020 at 11:59PM
Jury notification: Friday September 4, 2020 via email
Drop off Artwork: Sunday September 13, 4-6pm
Pick up Artwork: Sunday November 22, 2020, 4-6pm
Public reception: to be determined as social distancing policies evolve
- Works chosen will reflect some aspect of the “pandemic or quarantine” theme.
- We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant.
- Any 2D or 3D media accepted. 2-D work MUST be wired (with D-rings to hang flat). Sketchbooks will be displayed on a table, open to a single page spread.
- No size restrictions. We will make decisions based on gallery space.
- Entrants must be at least 14 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.
- Artwork must be hand delivered (may NOT be mailed or shipped). No storage either before drop-off dates, or after pick-up dates. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery.
- Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted.
- All artwork must be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit.
- Art must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a public space.
- Selected artists must sign the artist agreement and Waiver of Liability form to be submitted electronically or printed and dropped off along with the artwork.
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 2 MB per image.
- Label your work: First Name_Last Name_title for example: Pat_Jones_title.jpg
- Each artist may submit up to 3 (three) pieces /images.
- For sketchbook submissions, each image counts as 1(one) submission for $5 and will be opened to the page spread you submitted. Therefore, do not submit a second submission for the same sketchbook as we would be unable to display it.
- Price: use whole numbers only, no decimals or $ signs.
- Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability: www.roundrockarts.org/artist-agreement-waiver-of-liability
HANGING & DISPLAY
- Safety in the gallery and of security of the artwork is our priority! If work is deemed unsafe or difficult to display, it will be REJECTED from the show at our discretion. Artist will be notified.
- Each 2D work must have a hanging WIRE attached to D-rings (no sawtooth hangers, eye rings or loops). Make sure hanging wire is substantial enough to support it for the duration of the show. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines: CLICK HERE
- All works on fragile paper must be framed under glass. Plexiglass is required for framed work over 24 inches on any side. All framed work must be in good repair with a wire on the back.
- Pedestals may need to be provided by the artist submitting 3D work (in your submission, please indicate whether your piece needs a pedestal or if you can provide one).
- LABEL your work on the back. Include title, artist name, phone number, email and ID # provided by Round Rock Arts.
- Please deliver art on the drop off DATE & TIME (or arrange for someone else to drop it off).
- Take all packing material home with you.
- No work is accepted that requires delivery or storage.
- RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that is misrepresented or is unsafe to display.
- Art will be rejected if the artist did not sign or submit artist agreement / waiver, either online or printed and delivered with artwork.
- We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage in the Downtowner Gallery.
- If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer.
- Artwork that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show.
- Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the established pick-up date and time. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
- Since we do not have a sales commission, we kindly request that Artists donate 25% of SALES to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form).
- If sold, payment, less processing fees (8.25% sales tax and 3.25% credit card fees), and less a 25% donation (if noted at submission), will be paid at show close.
- The artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
- If sold, the artist is responsible for relaying the following information to the buyer.
- A buyer may not pick up the work until art pick up times as stated in the call.
- The buyer is expected to pick up the work at the pick up days and times OR the artist will need to make other arrangements between buyer and artist.
- Refunds of submission fees are not provided.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Failure to submit the EXACT piece after jury acceptance. Your submission image will be compared to the image on the sign in sheet at delivery.
- Asking us to replace or remove an item because the work was sold or in another show.
- Work was not delivered on the drop off date and time. It is okay to have work delivered by a friend.
- Removal of the work before the pick up date (end of show) by the artist or the buyer.