2020 [re]Imagine Show Call for Art
Round Rock Arts is currently sponsoring a Call for Art for the [re]Imagine Show to be exhibited at Texas State University- Round Rock. Round Rock Arts is a proud supporter of local area artists. We are pleased to consider your artwork for this juried and judged art exhibit with cash awards and a reception. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read all of the information below before applying!
Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 12 midnight:
Deadline to submit the completed online form. Late entries will not be considered.
January 25-26, 2020:
Artists are notified by email of acceptance. Please check your inbox, promotions, and spam folders. There is no other form of notification. If you use a specialized spam identification system, please add the domain roundrockarts.org to the list of approved email sources.
Saturday February 1, 2020, 10am to 12pm:
Artists deliver art to Texas State University, Round Rock Campus, Avery Building, University Blvd, Round Rock, TX. Late deliveries cannot be accepted.
Friday, February 28, 2020 6pm to 8pm:
Reception and public opening. Light refreshments, music, and awards ceremony. The event is free and open to artists, family and friends, and the public.
Pick up art from Texas State University, Round Rock Campus, Avery Building, University Blvd, Round Rock, TX. If artwork is picked up by someone other than the artist, a note or email must be provided allowing some other person to pick it up. Have a question? Contact email@example.com.
THE BASICS (MORE DETAILED REQUIREMENTS FOLLOW THIS SECTION)
All media other than electronic.
This year, RRA has determined that due to the greatly diminished number of entries in photography and 3D and a blurring of the lines between the different mediums used, there will not be separately judged categories.
ORIGINALITY, THEME, CONTENT
- We accept only original works, designed and created by the entrant.
- Commercially produced prints of original works are not accepted.
- No work may be accepted if it was in another RRA call for art held at Texas State University-RR during the past 2 years.
- There is no theme for this show. Submissions are not limited to any theme.
- Art must be family-friendly as it will be displayed in a public space where minors are present. Round Rock Arts and host-site staff will determine acceptability. If unsure, contact Round Rock Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIZES AND WEIGHTS
- 2D work and photography: maximum 65 inches in total height and 53 inches in width (including framing or appendages). Reminder- unframed canvas must be 1.5 inches or more in depth.
- 3D work maximum 48 inches on any side.
- Weight: maximum 50 lbs.
- Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted. All artwork will be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit.
AGE OF ENTRANTS
Entrants must be 16 yrs of age or older as of February 1, 2020. Parental consent is required for entrants who are under 18 years old on February 1. If your child’s work is accepted, we will ask for a parental consent form. Submission of that form is required by the date requested or the work will not be accepted in the show.
COST OF ENTRY
Each applicant may submit one up to three (3) artworks for the $40 application fee. Only one application per person.
PREPARING YOUR WORK
2D WORKS AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Dimensions of 2D work:
Will not exceed 65” vertical and 53” horizontal overall (multi-part physically connected work must fit within these final dimensions) including the framing or other appendages.
Glazing is required on all pieces larger than 24 inches on ANY one side. Review the glazing requirements below.
Will weigh 50 lbs or less.
All framed work must be clean, stable, and in good repair. Cracked frames or gaping joints or frames with broken glass will be rejected. See the “Wiring and hanging” instructions below in this section.
All works on paper or fragile surfaces must be framed and under protective Plexiglas or glass. Plexiglass is REQUIRED for any painting larger than 24 inches on any one side. Paintings that meet this restriction that have glass instead of plexiglass will be rejected.
Unframed stretched canvas:
Canvas must be at least 1.5” minimum depth. ¾ inch canvas in not acceptable unless framed: The unframed canvas must be fully wrapped. The sides must be painted or finished. No staples will be visible. Follows the same hanging requirements described below under “Wiring and hanging”
Shall be at least 1” minimum depth: Painted, stained or original unpainted sides. All Cradle boards must be clean and in good repair. Follows the same hanging requirements described below under “Wiring and hanging”
Metal and similar solid hard substrates:
May be printed or painted on metal or similar solid hard substrates without a frame. The artwork must be hung on wire with fasteners that can support the weight of the work and meets the weight limitations of 50 lbs.
Wiring and hanging:
All 2D work, other than metal and similar hard substrate, have specific wiring requirements. Wiring and hanging for some 3D pieces may be able to follow these directions.
- Sawtooth hangers are never accepted as they will not fit on our (and most) gallery hanging systems.
- Must have D-Rings and picture wire that can support the weight of your work. The requirement for D rings or better and wiring are required for all hung work with the following exceptions:
- Metal or similar solid hard substrates
- Certain works described in the section on 3D, Fiber, and mixed media.
- 3D, fiber, mixed media: Eye rings may ONLY BE USED with fiber hung on dowels or rods ONLY IF the eye rings have NOT split the dowels or rod.
- Wire should be slightly taut, with minimal slack, so that art will hang flat to the wall. Test this to ensure that your wonderful work hangs properly. It is not to your advantage to have a work hanging from an angle on the wall and we will not have time or volunteer resources to “fix it.”
- The following video provides information about the types of wiring and attaching rings we require.
- Work will be turned away if it does not meet the hanging requirements or if we cannot fix the hanging problem. A $5.00 charge will be required, paid in cash or check, if RRA volunteers repair/replace the wiring. RRA volunteers will not be held liable for any damage resulting from this rewiring. We encourage you to correctly wire your works before you come to the campus to avoid this fee or rejection of your work.
ALL OTHER WORK (3D, FIBER, MIXED MEDIA, ETC.)
Dimensions of 3D work:
Will not exceed 48” on any side (excluding pedestal).
Will weigh 50 lbs or less (not including pedestal).
Pedestals for display must be provided by the artist. Art placed on pedestals must be set in place by the artist under supervision. The pedestal/stand must be able to safely hold the piece for the entire time it is on display. This includes being sturdy enough to not fall apart and designed so it does not easily fall if someone bumps into it.
If 3D artwork is to be hung on the gallery hanging system, each part of multi-part works must be labelled and include a diagram for hanging or assembly on each part (when not being placed by the artist). 3D artwork that is hanging must be stable and safe, and shall not exceed 50 lbs. Works that will be hung but cannot use the wiring method shown in the video referred to under 2D, such as fiber art and some other forms of 3D, must be supported by a dowel or similar alternative, or have either grommets or wire for hanging, and must hang flat without curling up. No sawtooth hangers accepted. Supports must be stable and in good repair, and able to hang without breaking over a two month period of time.
Display cases are available for fragile and small pieces on request. Space is limited.
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Submission fee is $40 for up to three works for that single rate. Artworks are submitted in jpeg, png, or gif formats. Please limit size of jpegs to no more than 2 MB per image. When you fill in the form below, you will be forwarded to PayPal for payment. Submission does not guarantee acceptance and all submission fees are non-refundable.
- If you are submitting a diptych, triptych, etc., submit that work as one submission and provide information in the area of the form that asks for hanging information. Take ONE photograph of all the pieces as they should look hung. The total size hung may not exceed the size constraints, framed and with space inbetween if required, of 48″ high and 24″ wide. The set will be rejected if we cannot hang it within those size constraints.
- If you want two works to be considered together because they obviously “go together,” even if they are not a diptych, triptych, etc., you must enter them as one image together and they need to meet the total size constraints when the sizes, frames, and spacing are considered. The judges jury each image submitted with each submission as stand-alone items, judged on each image’s merit. You are requested to provide one image, title, combined dimensions, and sales price for the combined pieces.
- Each piece in the diptych, triptych, etc. and “go togethers” that require separate hanging wires will require an additional $10.00 per wire fee, beyond the first wire, paid at the time of check in or invoiced and paid before check in.
- Label the jpeg image file the title of the work and size, i.e., Sunflowers in Spring_8x10. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME. WE WISH TO MAINTAIN ANONYMITY DURING THE JURYING PROCESS!
- Failure to completely fill in all required information in the format required will prevent payment and submission. If you are not able to submit and pay make sure that numbers and all required fields (with the red asterisk) are filled in correctly. Common problems:
- Date: Only put in the year. Do not put in month, days, etc. Work must be made between 2018 and the submission deadline of January 5, 2020.
- Images are too large: Depending on how you are reducing the size of your image, what is ultimately transferred may be larger than the 2MB limit. Make a couple of copies in sizes smaller than the 2MB limit, such as 1.8 and 1.5. One of these should work.
- We are not available to “pretty up” your images. Please consider asking someone who is good with a camera or software to fix your image. This also violates our desire to NOT SEE your work!
- We are not able to replace an image housed in the server for you as we will lose the link name. Please take the time to check the application for duplicate and wrong images before hitting the submit button.
- Sale price: You used $, commas, or periods. Round to whole numbers and only put in the number without any punctuation or dollar signs.
- Empty spaces that are required to be filled: You did not fill in a required space. Look for the red asterisks. Look for a red warning also in the form. If you go to the top of the page you’ll note a warning notice.
- Start the filing process by 11:00 pm on January 5, 2020. If several artists are hitting the server at the same time, there will be a slowdown. If you are not filling in the form properly, you may not be able to fix it by the midnight deadline.
- Artist must complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability
THE LAST STEPS: GETTING READY TO DELIVER AND DELIVERING YOUR ART
- Consider printing a copy of this call from your web browser and use it as your planning roadmap.
- Label your work in the back, affixed in some manner, in the lower right hand corner when viewed from the back. Include the title, your name, your phone number, email, and the number assigned to the work, if it is assigned, prior to delivery.
- Review all of the required information in this call before going to the computer, perhaps creating a checklist within the call. We notice that several individuals will start new submissions, possibly due to missing information.
- No work is accepted that requires delivery to, storage in, or shipping from any Round Rock Arts gallery.
- Artist is responsible for art delivery on the date specified in the call for art.
- The artist is expected to take all packing material with them after delivering art work.
- If a work is heavy, the artist should have a cart to roll the work in. For the Downtowner Gallery, it is best to use the parking garage which has an elevator and ramps to the plaza. There are no carts available at The Downtowner Gallery or Jester. The Downtowner Gallery is next to Prete Plaza.
CHECKING IN YOUR ARTWORK
- You have come during the times posted in the schedule at the top of this document.
- You have arrived at the location listed on the top of this document.
- You have brought a means to carry in/roll in your work.
- You have brought in any required pedestals for your work
- Your piece is wired according to the guidelines stated in this document. A $5.00 charge will be required, paid in cash or check, if RRA volunteers are asked by the artist to assist with correcting hanging hardware. RRA volunteers will not be held liable for any damage resulting from assistance requested by the artist. Work will be turned away if it does not meet the hanging requirements and the artist does not wish to have staff correct it at the fee mentioned, or if we cannot fix the hanging problem. We encourage each artist to correctly wire his or her works before coming to the Downtowner to avoid this fee or rejection of your work.
- If someone is bringing in your work, he or she has a way to contact you during the check-in period if there is a problem during check-in.
ON-SITE REJECTION OF A WORK
Common reasons include the following. Not all reasons are posted. RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that does not meet the requirements, including size, weight, quality of hardware and stability of framing, lack of the required pedestal, or other requirements outlined in this document.
- Size constraint requirements not met. Remember to state the work’s size AS FRAMED
- Framing requirements not met or may not hold up for the two months it is hanging (for example, corners are not glued/secured in some way)
- Canvases smaller than 1.5″ in depth not framed
- Plexiglas or glass requirements not met
- Hanging or display requirements not met (for example- you did not bring a pedestal for a 3D work if needed)
- Art work submitted does not resemble what was entered
- Artworks delivered before or after the announced time for check in
- Works are wet and/or uncured; glue is still wet
- Electricity is required
- Special hooks are required or the hooks placed on the art work will not work on the hanging system
- The work is considered unsafe.
- The work is deemed too fragile or delicate or fail to meet other requirements not mentioned above.
PICKUP YOUR WORK
- We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage in the Downtowner Gallery.
- If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer.
- Art work that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show.
- Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the pick up date and time at the end of the show. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
EXHIBITING EXPECTATIONS, SALES OF YOUR WORKS, REFUNDS
- The artist must agree to display during the entire exhibit period. If a work is sold during the exhibit period, the art will remain in the exhibit until the pickup date.
- Removal of a work prior to the times stated when artwork may be picked up will result in the inability to submit to our shows for a year after this show
- Sales are transacted between the artist and buyer.
- There is no sales commission.
- The artist is expected to pay all state sales taxes and report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid taxes.
- The artist is responsible for relaying the following information to the buyer.
- A buyer may not pick up the work until art pick up times as stated in the call.
- The buyer is expected to pick up the work within three days following the pick up days and times during posted business hours at the Downtowner. After that time, the work will go back to the artist and the artist will need to make other arrangements between buyer and seller.
- It is preferred that the buyer be present when the work has been paid and during the posted pick up times.
- Refunds are not provided, including hanging fees, if the work that is brought in does not meet the hanging standards or other requirements listed in this document.
- If the volunteers are unable to fix a wiring problem and have already expended time and materials to try to fix it, the wiring fee is not refundable. It is best to wire and test the hanging of the artwork before bringing it in! Review the preparation instructions for the type of framing, canvas, or other substrate you are using.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
Due to an increased problem of no-shows or requests for replacements in 2019, the artist will be excluded from show submissions for a year in all galleries sponsored by RRA under conditions listed below. Failure to submit the required piece after jurying affected the selection process by the judges. Asking us to replace an item because the work was sold or in another show also affects the placement of other artwork that the judges may have considered during the initial jurying process. Judges may either rank order or select the exact number of pieces the committee has requested.
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Request to remove AND REPLACE a work once a submission has already been made.
- Verify that the picture you submitted is not duplicated. Double check the image and title of the work! We will not replace title and image. Links to images are handled in a separate database and tied into to the submission information. However, a duplication will not prevent you from being considered in the future.
- Review the other shows you are submitting the image to or works that are currently hanging in galleries and DO NOT enter those pieces in this show if you cannot bring the work, if selected, on February 1. No exceptions on delivery date.
- If you are actively selling the piece you wish to enter for consideration, please do not submit it in this or any other show or ensure that your buyer is aware that the sale of the submitted work is conditional. It will not be available until April 4.
- Failure to present the piece submitted for consideration.
- We have pictorial representations on the sign in sheet to confirm the visual representation of piece submitted and selected.
- You or a friend did not drop of the piece on Saturday, February 1 between the hours of 10 am and noon. A friend may drop off the piece. If wiring has to be reworked, you or your friend should be prepared to pay cash or by check for our reworking the wiring at $5.00 per piece. No invoicing, no credit cards.
- Allowing a work to be picked up by a buyer or artist removes his or her work before the end of the show.
ABOUT JURYING AND JUDGING
- We attempt to find judges, that jury based on the images submitted and judge onsite for assigning awards, who are unaware of the work done by most of the local artists. This is becoming increasingly difficult as our area artists are increasingly engaged in events in Austin and other galleries in Williamson and Travis counties.
- We attempt to find judges who can select diverse expressions using a growing diversity of mediums and techniques.
- Jurying is blind. This means that they only receive a work number, a title, physical descriptions, narratives (please minimize names and references that might identify you), notes on hanging, a place to rank or note acceptance of selected works, and the hyperlinks to each image. This is the reason we are no longer asking for personal names in the naming of the image you will upload. Only 20% of the artists followed the naming instructions. We cannot get away from visible signatures on the front of artworks, however, but we do what we can to minimize identification.
- We pay our judges a small stipend. Most of our judges spend HOURS in the process, especially for our larger shows, and all judges are expected to come onsite to select the winners. For artists coming out of Austin, this is very time consuming.
- RRA does not preselect work. In fact, we no longer create images for the judges to review. Judges go directly to the hyperlinks as we really do not want to know what our artists are submitting. We know this makes it more difficult for the judges, but as an organization we wish to distance ourselves from this process as several board and committee members know, personally, many of the artists submitting to our shows.
TEXT OF THE WAIVER OF LIABILITY STATEMENT
“Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at The Downtowner Art Gallery, Jester Justice Center, or Texas State University-Round Rock. Round Rock Arts’ partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from me, my heirs, successors or assigns, from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.”
BUSINESS HOURS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
- Business hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 12-6; Friday-Saturday, 12-8; Sunday 12-6. RRArts staff is available Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Gallery email answered within 48 hours (volunteer run): email@example.com
- If you are trying to contact us about when the pick update is or other info on this call, the call is posted in the Call for Art section of the website, third column, under Closed Calls.