Where Words Meet Art
Call Deadline: June 8, 2022 at 5pm CST
Show Dates: 7/13 – 9/9/22
Exhibit Location: Downtowner Gallery; 231 East Main St., suite 160, Round Rock, TX
Images came first and then words but their romance in art, in society continues. Both are modes of communication, but our brains use different parts to process them. This back and forth inside the brain is what makes this hybrid art more interesting.
Just as a playscape is designed to explore play, Word(scapes) is a juried exhibition that aims to explore, celebrate, and test the fluid lines between the verbal and the visual arts.
Comingling and at times struggling, the interaction between words and art has a rich history, from cuneiforms to hieroglyphs to illuminated manuscripts, to pop art of the 1960s, to the 1970s Modern Era which emphasized content with form. Mass media and digital communication in the 21st century has brought about another radical shift in this relationship.
Word(scapes) is seeking artworks in a variety of formats where relationship between text and art is the important element. Rather than meaning-making and/or aesthetics arising from text alone or image alone, allow the interaction between the text and the image to unravel, enhance, and emphasize. Let words inspire art and art inspire words in all permutations and combinations, either as a juxtaposition or as a metaphor, playful or serious, complementary and additive, or contradictory and pulling each other in opposite directions.
Here are some ideas to interpret into your own visual language, to experiment and unfurl your own creative approach: captioning with a title, captioning more than a simple title, naming/renaming, writing a description, script/abstract/quote/phrase, visual poetry/song, book covers, shop signs, logo design, digital distortion and so on.
Submitted artworks can range from 2D, 3D, new media, conceptual or digital. No size or media restrictions.
$20 submission fee, 3 entries per artist.
Call deadline: Wednesday, June 8th at 5:00pm
Show runs: JULY 13 – SEPTEMBER 9, 2022
Artist Notification: Friday, July 1
Drop off artwork: Sunday, July 10 2pm- 4pm
Pick up artwork: Sunday, Sept 11, 2-4pm
Prizes to be Awarded:
Best of Show: $100
1st Prize: $50
2nd Prize: $25
What Info Is Needed to Apply:
Please have the following info ready to submit your work in the Application Form:
- Title of work
- Media used
- Size: Height x Length x Depth + Weight
- Your Inspiration statement and how your work fits in with the guidelines of the show theme (50 word limit)
- Any special hanging requirements (please see rules and guidelines for expectations)
- Is your art for sale? What is the dollar amount? Will you be willing to donate 25% of sale back to Round Rock Arts?
- Upload a JPG file (1 for each submission): Maximum 5MB. This is used for Juror decision and social media. Provide the best you have!
Meet Our Juror
Rohitash Rao is a writer/animator/director/illustrator and an advertising creative. He has worked as an Art Director at over 40 agencies around the country such as BBDO, Fallon, Deutsch, Chiat Day, and Saatchi. He was also a creative director at the SyFy channel. He has won awards from the One Show, Clios, Webby’s, D&AD, AICP and Cannes. His directing work has been recognized by Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, The Huffington Post, MTV, the One Show, Ad Critic, Juxtapoz Magazine, Communication Arts and Saatchi&Saatchi’s New Director’s Showcase at Cannes (plus his latest hand-painted music video just won Best Animation at the Austin Art House Film Festival.) His client list includes Nike, Toyota, Microsoft, Taco Bell, Google, Energizer, Playstation and Volkswagen. His short films have played at over 25 film festivals around the world. He has illustrated and co-authored a trilogy of children’s books titled “Herbert’s Wormhole” that was published by Harper Collins. He also co-created an animated pilot for Fox that was executive produced by Lorne Michaels called “Rancho Cucamonga” and starring Mark Hamill and Russell Peters. He has had over 20 solo shows as a fine artist in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Nashville and Austin. Ro graduated from the Art Center College of Design with Honors. He is an Assistant Professor of Practice in the Advertising School at UT Austin.
Instagram: @rohit913 AND @rohitrecords
- Please read the entry form carefully before filling in. All accepted entries will stay as-is and cannot be changed or corrected after submission.
- No media limitations. No size limitations. Maximum weight, 25lbs for wall pieces and 100lbs for stand-alone sculptural pieces (including the pedestal).
- We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant.
- Do not submit work that has been displayed in a previous Round Rock Arts exhibit in the previous 2 years.
- Only submit work that is available to exhibit. Do not submit the same piece to multiple venues for the same dates.
- All artwork must be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted.
- Entrants must be at least 16 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.
- Artwork must be hand delivered (may NOT be mailed or shipped). No storage either before drop-off dates or after pick-up dates. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery.
- Art must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a public space.
- Selected artists must agree to the Artist Agreement and Waiver of Liability (below).
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Label your work with and ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME: for example: Starry_Night_VanGogh.jpg
- Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 2 MB per image.
- Each artist may submit 1-3 (one to three) images for $20.
- Price: use whole numbers only, no decimals or $ signs.
- Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability.
HANGING & DISPLAY
- Each 2D work must have a hanging WIRE attached to D-rings (no sawtooth hangers, eye rings or loops). Make sure hanging wire is substantial enough to support it for the duration of the show. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines CLICK HERE.
- All works on fragile paper must be framed under glass. Plexiglass is required for framed work over 24 inches on any side. All framed work must be in good repair with a wire on the back.
- Edge finish – canvas edges should be painted, thin canvases must be framed (if less than 1 inch).
- 3D pieces; please specify any special display needs such as pedestal (which must be provided by the artist), electricity, or walk-around space.
- Safety in the gallery and of security of the artwork is our priority! If work is deemed unsafe or difficult to display, it will be REJECTED from the show at our discretion. Work will not be accepted at drop off or artist will be notified.
- LABEL your work on the back. Include title, artist name, phone number and email.
- Please deliver art on the drop off DATE & TIME (or arrange for someone else to drop it off).
- Take all packing material home with you.
- No work is accepted that requires delivery or storage.
- RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that is misrepresented or is unsafe to display.
- Art will be rejected if the artist did not sign or submit artist agreement / waiver, either online or printed and delivered with artwork.
- We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage at any of our gallery locations, nor are we able to pick-up or deliver artwork for the Artist.
- If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer.
- Artwork that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show.
- Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the established pick-up date and time. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
- Since we do not have a sales commission, we kindly ask Artists to donate 25% of SOLD WORK to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form). We truly appreciate your donation.
- If your piece is sold, we will deduct 3.25% in credit card fees, minus 25% donation to RRA (if you have indicated willingness to donate). Artists will be paid by mail approximately one week after show close. Please make sure to enter your address correctly when applying to the call.
- The Artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
- If sold:
1) A buyer may not pick up the work until art pick up date / time as stated in the call.
2) The buyer is expected to pick up the work at the pick up days and times OR the artist will need to make other arrangements between buyer and artist.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Failure to submit the EXACT piece after jury acceptance. Your submission image will be compared to the image on the sign in sheet at delivery.
- Asking us to replace or remove an item because the work was sold or in another show.
- Work was not delivered on the drop off date and time. It is okay to have work delivered by a friend.
- Removal of the work before the pick up date (end of show) by the artist or the buyer.
ARTIST AGREEMENT & WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Originality: In consideration of the opportunity to display my work to the public, and other good and valuable consideration, the adequacy and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I, the undersigned artist, certify that the art that I am submitting is my original art and that I am the author and creator of such art. I acknowledge that Round Rock Arts (RRA) reserves the right to accept or deny any submission with or without cause.
Promotion and Publicity: I grant RRA permission to publish in all media my name, artwork, and location for use in promotion through print media, television, and the internet. I further allow RRA to release such information to other persons and entities. My name will be attributed to my pieces that are shown by RRA or other persons or entities.
Responsibility: I understand that RRA and its partner gallery sponsors do not assume responsibility for loss or damage to my artwork(s) or the loss or damage to frames or glass, no matter how sustained. Reasonable safety and electronic security precautions are in place to ensure added protection of my work. I also understand that RRA strongly recommends that I carry my own personal property insurance. Current partners include Williamson County Jester Annex, the City of Round Rock; Downtowner Gallery, and Texas State University Round Rock Campus.
Accepted artwork: (must remain in the gallery for the entire exhibit). I understand that if my artwork is accepted for the show that the work may not be removed from the exhibition until the pick up date described in the Call for Art. HOWEVER – I understand that artwork sold in the gallery during the exhibit does not need to be replaced. It is my responsibility to notify RRA in writing or by email of a third-party pick-up of artwork at the conclusion of the exhibition. Artwork accepted by the judges, if sold prior to the exhibit, must be placed in the show. Alternate pieces are not accepted.
Sales of Artwork: Downtowner Gallery will handle all sales transactions during the exhibit, including sales tax collection. However, it is the Artist’s responsibility to report and file applicable sales tax.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand all terms contained in the description for this Call for Art and the Artist Agreement and agree to be bound by the terms and stated expectations.
Waiver of Liability: Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at Downtowner Gallery, Williamson County Jester Annex, or Texas State University Round Rock. Our partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from the artist, heirs, successors or assigns from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.
Please follow the above guidelines for art submission with the following form:
Form is Closed.