Are you an artist that utilizes natural elements? Do your sculptures resemble ikebana? Do you express yourself through woodworking, terrariums, clay, eco dyeing, cyanotype, handmade paper, gemstones, mineral/earth pigments, just to name a few examples? Does your mixed media work include bone, metal, or plant fibers? We are looking for masterpieces representing iterations of the natural world.
Deadline Apr. 12th 11pm
About the Downtowner Gallery: The Downtowner Gallery is the collaboration by the City of Round Rock Arts and Culture with the visual arts nonprofit Round Rock Arts. The Call for Art process in the Downtowner Gallery is managed through an online process via Round Rock Arts (www.roundrockarts.org/call-for-art). The gallery’s website is www.downtownergallery.com.
Exhibit Dates: May 9th 2024 – July 5th 2024
What Info Is Needed to Apply Please have the following info ready to submit your work in the Application Form:
- Title of work
- Media used
- Size: Height x Length x Depth + Weight
- Your Inspiration statement and how your work fits in with the guidelines of the show theme
- Any special hanging requirements (please see rules and guidelines for expectations)
- Is your art for sale? What is the dollar amount? Will you be willing to donate 25% of sale back to Round Rock Arts?
- PLEASE Upload a JPG file with file title formatted as ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME(1 for each submission): no more than 2-5MB. This is used for Juror decision and then, for social media. Provide the best you have!
- No media limitations. No size limitations. Maximum weight, 20lbs for wall pieces and 100 lbs for floor or pedestal display pieces. We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant. Only submit work that is available to exhibit. Do not submit the same piece to multiple venues for the same dates. All artwork must be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted. Entrants must be at least 16 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.Artwork must be hand delivered (may NOT be mailed or shipped). No storage either before drop-off dates or after pick-up dates. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery. Art must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a public space. Selected artists must agree to the Artist Agreement and Waiver of Liability (below).
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Label your work with and ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME: for example: Starry_Night_VanGogh.jpg Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 2 MB per image. Each artist may submit 1-3 (one to three) images for $25.Price: use whole numbers only, no decimals or $ signs.
- Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability.
HANGING & DISPLAY
- Each 2D work must have a hanging WIRE attached to D-rings (no sawtooth hangers, eye rings or loops). Make sure hanging wire is substantial enough to support it for the duration of the show. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines CLICK HERE. All works on fragile paper must be framed under glass. Plexiglass is required for framed work over 24 inches on any side. All framed work must be in good repair with a wire on the back. Edge finish – canvas edges should be painted, thin canvases should be framed (if less than 1 inch).3D pieces; please specify any special display needs such as pedestal, electricity, television monitor, or walk-around space. Safety in the gallery and of security of the artwork is our priority! If work is deemed unsafe or difficult to display, it will be REJECTED from the show at our discretion. Work will not be accepted at drop off or artist will be notified.
- LABEL your work on the back. Include title, artist name, phone number and email. If you receive a letter of acceptance from us, Please deliver art on the drop off May 7th (12-5, by appointment) (or arrange for someone else to drop it off).Please read the letter of acceptance carefully, and only bring the artwork, or artworks, that are specified. Take all packing material home with you. No work is accepted that requires delivery or storage. RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that is misrepresented or is unsafe to display. Art will be rejected if the artist did not sign or submit artist agreement / waiver, either online or printed and delivered with artwork.
- Pick Up – Date and Time will be: May 7th (12-5pm). We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage in the Downtowner Gallery. If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer. Artwork that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show. Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the established pick-up date and time. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
- Since we do not have a sales commission, we kindly ask Artists to donate 25% of SOLD WORK to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form). We truly appreciate your donation. If your piece is sold, we will deduct 3.25% in credit card fees, minus 25% donation to RRA (if you have indicated willingness to donate). Artists will be paid by mail approximately one week after show close. Please make sure to enter your address correctly when applying to the call. The Artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Failure to submit the EXACT piece after jury acceptance. Your submission image will be compared to the image on the sign in sheet at delivery. Asking us to replace or remove an item because the work was sold or in another show. Work was not delivered on the drop off date and time. It is okay to have work delivered by a friend. Removal of the work before the pick up date (end of show) by the artist or the buyer.
ARTIST AGREEMENT & WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Originality: In consideration of the opportunity to display my work to the public, and other good and valuable consideration, the adequacy and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I, the undersigned artist, certify that the art that I am submitting is my original art and that I am the author and creator of such art. I acknowledge that Round Rock Arts (RRA) reserves the right to accept or deny any submission with or without cause.
Promotion and Publicity: I grant RRA permission to publish in all media my name, artwork, and location for use in promotion through print media, television, and the internet. I further allow RRA to release such information to other persons and entities. My name will be attributed to my pieces that are shown by RRA or other persons or entities.
Responsibility: I understand that RRA and its partner gallery sponsors do not assume responsibility for loss or damage to my artwork(s) or the loss or damage to frames or glass, no matter how sustained. Reasonable safety and electronic security precautions are in place to ensure added protection of my work. I also understand that RRA strongly recommends that I carry my own personal property insurance. Current partners include Williamson County Jester Annex, the city of Round Rock (The Downtowner Gallery), and Texas State University Round Rock Campus.
Artwork remains in the gallery until the end of the exhibit: I understand that if my artwork is accepted for the show that the work may not be removed from the exhibition until the pick up date described in the Call for Art. It is my responsibility to to notify RRA in writing or by email of a third-party pick-up of artwork at the conclusion of the exhibition. Artwork accepted by the judges, if sold prior to the exhibit, must be placed in the show. Replacement pieces are not accepted.
Sales of Artwork: all sales transactions and the collection and filing of applicable sales tax.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand all terms contained in the description for this Call for Art and the Artist Agreement, and agree to be bound by the terms and stated expectations.
Waiver of Liability: Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at The Downtowner Gallery, Williamson County Jester Annex, or Texas State University Round Rock Campus. Our partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from the artist, heirs, successors or assigns from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.