PROJECT HAPPINESS: Creativity and mental health
CALL FOR ART – ALL MEDIA 2D AND 3D
PROJECT HAPPINESS: Creativity and mental health
GALLERY: DOWNTOWNER GALLERY
ADDRESS: DOWNTOWNER GALLERY, 231 EAST MAIN STREET, SUITE 160, ROUND ROCK, TX 78664
DEADLINE TO APPLY ONLINE: June 14, 2023 at 11:00pm
$20 submission fee, 3 entries per artist.
Best of Show: $100
1st Prize: $50
2nd Prize: $25
APPLY ONLINE: www.roundrockarts.org/call-for-art
For many artists, the creative process is related to mental health. Perhaps your well-being is improved through your creative journey, or as you explore specific subject matter. We’d like this exhibit to engage the viewer emotionally, with art that conveys or conjures up happiness. The complex emotion of happiness can be described in multiple ways as contentment, joy, bittersweet, sublime, fleeting, nostalgia, not what you expected, and bliss, to cite a few words as a launching pad.
Eligible Media: All media, 2D and 3D
About the Downtowner Gallery: The Downtowner Gallery is the collaboration by the City of Round Rock Arts and Culture with the visual arts nonprofit Round Rock Arts. The Call for Art process in the Downtowner Gallery is managed through an online process via Round Rock Arts (www.roundrockarts.org/call-for-art).
Exhibit Dates: July 13, 2023 – Sept 8, 2023
Notification Date: JUNE 28th 2023
Exhibit Dates: JULY 13th, 2023 – Sept 8, 2023
Drop Off Date: JULY 11th 2023
Pick up Date: SEPT. 12th 2023
Juror: Neena Buxani
Neena paints abstracted gemstones, colorful flora and fauna and the occasional Indian Sari. Her work can vary, but what is constant is her love of incorporating different mediums and textures into her paintings while using vibrant, hopeful color schemes. She is a self-taught artist, who started on her artistic journey as a small child.
“I paint what I want to see in the world. This usually involves an explosion of color somewhere on the canvas if not the entire canvas. I’m drawn to all things floral and metallic, not to mention uplifting and positive so that’s what I love to create for others to experience.”
When Neena is not painting, you can find her at her sons’ soccer games, a vineyard, gallery exhibit or shopping for the latest fashion trends.
Neena Buxani is an Indian-American artist who was raised on the border of Mexico in Brownsville, Texas. She currently resides in Austin, Texas with her husband and two boys. Neena has a B.S. in Advertising and Speech Communications and an M.S. in Social Work from the University of Texas at Austin, as well as a Gemological Certification from GIA. She has worked as a substance abuse counselor, jewelry buyer, loan officer, jewelry store owner and general manager for a hotel. Her multifaceted background and multicultural upbringing has helped to shape her vision as a self- taught artist.
Neena’s work has been featured in various publications such as Create! Magazine, All SHE makes Magazine, the Friend of the Artist Book, EASTside Magazine, the Bluehost Artist Spotlight, and the KXAN Artist Spotlight. Her paintings have been represented by Tommy Bahama Home, PxP Contemporary, and Austin Art Garage. Neena has had recent solo exhibits at the Dougherty Arts Center, Austin American Resource Center, the Arts Council of Brazos Valley and the Austin Bergstrom International Airport. She has also served as a curator for Texas State University.
What Info Is Needed to Apply Please have the following info ready to submit your work in the Application Form:
- Title of work
- Media used
- Size: Height x Length x Depth + Weight
- Your Inspiration statement and how your work fits in with the guidelines of the show theme
- Any special hanging requirements (please see rules and guidelines for expectations)
- Is your art for sale? What is the dollar amount? Will you be willing to donate 25% of sale back to Round Rock Arts?
- Upload a JPG file with file title formatted as ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME(1 for each submission): no more than 2-5MB. This is used for Juror decision and then, for social media. Provide the best you have!
- No media limitations. No size limitations. Maximum weight, 20lbs for wall pieces and 100 lbs for floor or pedestal display pieces.We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant.Only submit work that is available to exhibit. Do not submit the same piece to multiple venues for the same dates.All artwork must be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted.Entrants must be at least 16 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.Artwork must be hand delivered (may NOT be mailed or shipped). No storage either before drop-off dates or after pick-up dates. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery.Art must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a public space.Selected artists must agree to the Artist Agreement and Waiver of Liability (below).
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Label your work with and ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME: for example: Starry_Night_VanGogh.jpg Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 2 MB per image. Each artist may submit 1-3 (one to three) images for $20.Price: use whole numbers only, no decimals or $ signs. Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability.
HANGING & DISPLAY
- Each 2D work must have a hanging WIRE attached to D-rings (no sawtooth hangers, eye rings or loops). Make sure hanging wire is substantial enough to support it for the duration of the show. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines CLICK HERE.All works on fragile paper must be framed under glass. Plexiglass is required for framed work over 24 inches on any side. All framed work must be in good repair with a wire on the back. Edge finish – canvas edges should be painted, thin canvases should be framed (if less than 1 inch).3D pieces; please specify any special display needs such as pedestal, electricity, television monitor, or walk-around space. Safety in the gallery and of security of the artwork is our priority! If work is deemed unsafe or difficult to display, it will be REJECTED from the show at our discretion. Work will not be accepted at drop off or artist will be notified.
- LABEL your work on the back. Include title, artist name, phone number and email. Please deliver art on the Drop Off Date: JULY 11th 2023 (12-5, by appointment) (or arrange for someone else to drop it off).Take all packing material home with you. No work is accepted that requires delivery or storage. RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that is misrepresented or is unsafe to display. Art will be rejected if the artist did not sign or submit artist agreement / waiver, either online or printed and delivered with artwork.
- We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage in the Downtowner Gallery. If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer. Artwork that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show. Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the established pick-up date and time. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
- Since we do not have a sales commission, we kindly ask Artists to donate 25% of SOLD WORK to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form). We truly appreciate your donation. If your piece is sold, we will deduct 3.25% in credit card fees, minus 25% donation to RRA (if you have indicated willingness to donate). Artists will be paid by mail approximately one week after show close. Please make sure to enter your address correctly when applying to the call. The Artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Failure to submit the EXACT piece after jury acceptance. Your submission image will be compared to the image on the sign in sheet at delivery. Asking us to replace or remove an item because the work was sold or in another show. Work was not delivered on the drop off date and time. It is okay to have work delivered by a friend. Removal of the work before the pick up date (end of show) by the artist or the buyer.
ARTIST AGREEMENT & WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Originality: In consideration of the opportunity to display my work to the public, and other good and valuable consideration, the adequacy and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I, the undersigned artist, certify that the art that I am submitting is my original art and that I am the author and creator of such art. I acknowledge that Round Rock Arts (RRA) reserves the right to accept or deny any submission with or without cause.
Promotion and Publicity: I grant RRA permission to publish in all media my name, artwork, and location for use in promotion through print media, television, and the internet. I further allow RRA to release such information to other persons and entities. My name will be attributed to my pieces that are shown by RRA or other persons or entities.
Responsibility: I understand that RRA and its partner gallery sponsors do not assume responsibility for loss or damage to my artwork(s) or the loss or damage to frames or glass, no matter how sustained. Reasonable safety and electronic security precautions are in place to ensure added protection of my work. I also understand that RRA strongly recommends that I carry my own personal property insurance. Current partners include Williamson County Jester Annex, the city of Round Rock (The Downtowner Gallery), and Texas State University Round Rock Campus.
Artwork remains in the gallery until the end of the exhibit: I understand that if my artwork is accepted for the show that the work may not be removed from the exhibition until the pick up date described in the Call for Art. It is my responsibility to to notify RRA in writing or by email of a third-party pick-up of artwork at the conclusion of the exhibition. Artwork accepted by the judges, if sold prior to the exhibit, must be placed in the show. Replacement pieces are not accepted.
Sales of Artwork: all sales transactions and the collection and filing of applicable sales tax.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand all terms contained in the description for this Call for Art and the Artist Agreement, and agree to be bound by the terms and stated expectations.
Waiver of Liability: Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at The Downtowner Gallery, Williamson County Jester Annex, or Texas State University Round Rock Campus. Our partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from the artist, heirs, successors or assigns from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.