Call for Entries: Deadline to Apply: April 18, 2022 at 5pm
So Close / So Far | From mighty to microscopic
Show Dates: 5/18 – 7/8/22
Exhibit Location: Downtowner Gallery, 231 East Main Street, Suite 160, Round Rock, TX
All Media: 2D and 3D
There is beauty in the details, but there is also so much one can revel in within a grand concept. Through this exhibition – inclusive of all media, 2D and 3D – artists are asked to explore perspective and scale.
We are looking for imaginative art that plays with the notions of perspective, in abstract, representational and unexpected ways. How an artist puts into a work of art reveals so much in what they desire to say.
Here are some ideas and concepts as starting points, or leaping away points, as you consider your imaginative content, composition, and scale:
- Micro or macro perspectives
- Close-up or far away
- Examine close up details, or admire a figurative or literal aerial view
- Patterns and shapes, which could reveal more about a close-up or far away perspective
- Internal scrutiny vs external visibility
- An intimate moment or a shared experience
- Large art about a close-up detail, tiny art about a grand concept
- Details shown in a close-up perspective, tiny details magnified
- Large internal concepts depicted in detail, or in a grand sense
Prizes to be Awarded:
Best of Show: $100
1st Prize: $50
2nd Prize: $25
- Entry Deadline: 4/18/22 at 5pm
- Artist Notifications: 4/29/22
- Art Drop-off: 5/15/22, 2-4pm
- Exhibit Dates: 5/18-7/8/22
- Art Pick-up: 7/10/22, 2-4pm
What Info Is Needed to Apply Please have the following info ready to submit your work in the Application Form:
- Title of work
- Media used
- Size: Height x Length x Depth + Weight
- Your Inspiration statement and how your work fits in with the guidelines of the show theme (50 word limit)
- Any special hanging requirements (please see rules and guidelines for expectations)
- Is your art for sale? What is the dollar amount? Will you be willing to donate 25% of sale back to Round Rock Arts?
- Upload a JPG file (1 for each submission): Maximum 5MB. This is used for Juror decision and social media. Provide the best you have!
MEET THE JUROR:
Born and raised in Puerto Rico where she received a BFA from the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras Campus. Gely moved to San Francisco, CA where she completed an MA in Art Education from the Academy of Art; additionally, Gely collaborated with the Asian Art Museum, Children’s Creativity Museum, Convent & Stuart Hall Schools and an Adult Probation Center, providing workshops that taught the language of art. Gely moved to North Carolina in 2018, and experienced her first Art Residency-Portugal in 2019. While in North Carolina, Norma has led multiple workshops including Breaking Walls Through Art, as well as presented her work in group and solo shows. She is now an Austin, TX resident. Her practice is centered in exploring connections to multiple environments, and cultures; her goal is to use art as a link between nature and community, with the objective of uniting through colorful conversation.
- Please read the entry form carefully before filling in. All accepted entries will stay as-is and cannot be changed or corrected after submission.
- No media limitations. No size limitations. Maximum weight, 25lbs for wall pieces and 100lbs for stand-alone sculptural pieces (including the pedestal).
- We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant.
- Do not submit work that has been displayed in a previous Round Rock Arts exhibit in the previous 2 years.
- Only submit work that is available to exhibit. Do not submit the same piece to multiple venues for the same dates.
- All artwork must be exhibited for the duration of the exhibit. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work nor withdraw that work once it is accepted.
- Entrants must be at least 16 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.
- Artwork must be hand delivered (may NOT be mailed or shipped). No storage either before drop-off dates or after pick-up dates. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery.
- Art must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a public space.
- Selected artists must agree to the Artist Agreement and Waiver of Liability (below).
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
- Label your work with and ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME: for example: Starry_Night_VanGogh.jpg
- Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 2 MB per image.
- Each artist may submit 1-3 (one to three) images for $20.
- Price: use whole numbers only, no decimals or $ signs.
- Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability.
HANGING & DISPLAY
- Each 2D work must have a hanging WIRE attached to D-rings (no sawtooth hangers, eye rings or loops). Make sure hanging wire is substantial enough to support it for the duration of the show. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines CLICK HERE.
- All works on fragile paper must be framed under glass. Plexiglass is required for framed work over 24 inches on any side. All framed work must be in good repair with a wire on the back.
- Edge finish – canvas edges should be painted, thin canvases must be framed (if less than 1 inch).
- 3D pieces; please specify any special display needs such as pedestal (which must be provided by the artist), electricity, or walk-around space.
- Safety in the gallery and of security of the artwork is our priority! If work is deemed unsafe or difficult to display, it will be REJECTED from the show at our discretion. Work will not be accepted at drop off or artist will be notified.
- LABEL your work on the back. Include title, artist name, phone number and email.
- Please deliver art on the drop off DATE & TIME (or arrange for someone else to drop it off).
- Take all packing material home with you.
- No work is accepted that requires delivery or storage.
- RRA reserves the right to reject artwork that is misrepresented or is unsafe to display.
- Art will be rejected if the artist did not sign or submit artist agreement / waiver, either online or printed and delivered with artwork.
- We will not be responsible for loss of work not picked up at the requested time and place. We have no storage at any of our gallery locations, nor are we able to pick-up or deliver artwork for the Artist.
- If the artist is not picking up the work(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name and phone number of the person picking up the work is required. This includes any information about a buyer.
- Artwork that is not picked up on the pick up date, without prior arrangements made by email four days in advance or by phone during business hours, will be deemed abandoned and property of Round Rock after three days following the close of the show.
- Artists who have sold their work during the show are expected to ensure that their buyers pick up the work during the established pick-up date and time. If the buyer is not available, the artist will pick up the work and arrange for an exchange between the artist and the buyer.
- Since we do not have a sales commission, we kindly ask Artists to donate 25% of SOLD WORK to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form). We truly appreciate your donation.
- If your piece is sold, we will deduct 3.25% in credit card fees, minus 25% donation to RRA (if you have indicated willingness to donate). Artists will be paid by mail approximately one week after show close. Please make sure to enter your address correctly when applying to the call.
- The Artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
- If sold:
1) A buyer may not pick up the work until art pick up date / time as stated in the call.
2) The buyer is expected to pick up the work at the pick up days and times OR the artist will need to make other arrangements between buyer and artist.
EXCLUSIONS IN FUTURE SHOWS
You will be excluded in any RRA show over the next year under the following conditions:
- Failure to submit the EXACT piece after jury acceptance. Your submission image will be compared to the image on the sign in sheet at delivery.
- Asking us to replace or remove an item because the work was sold or in another show.
- Work was not delivered on the drop off date and time. It is okay to have work delivered by a friend.
- Removal of the work before the pick up date (end of show) by the artist or the buyer.
ARTIST AGREEMENT & WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Originality: In consideration of the opportunity to display my work to the public, and other good and valuable consideration, the adequacy and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I, the undersigned artist, certify that the art that I am submitting is my original art and that I am the author and creator of such art. I acknowledge that Round Rock Arts (RRA) reserves the right to accept or deny any submission with or without cause.
Promotion and Publicity: I grant RRA permission to publish in all media my name, artwork, and location for use in promotion through print media, television, and the internet. I further allow RRA to release such information to other persons and entities. My name will be attributed to my pieces that are shown by RRA or other persons or entities.
Responsibility: I understand that RRA and its partner gallery sponsors do not assume responsibility for loss or damage to my artwork(s) or the loss or damage to frames or glass, no matter how sustained. Reasonable safety and electronic security precautions are in place to ensure added protection of my work. I also understand that RRA strongly recommends that I carry my own personal property insurance. Current partners include Williamson County Jester Annex, the City of Round Rock; Downtowner Gallery, and Texas State University Round Rock Campus.
Artwork remains in the gallery until the end of the exhibit: I understand that if my artwork is accepted for the show that the work may not be removed from the exhibition until the pick up date described in the Call for Art. It is my responsibility to notify RRA in writing or by email of a third-party pick-up of artwork at the conclusion of the exhibition. Artwork accepted by the judges, if sold prior to the exhibit, must be placed in the show. Replacement pieces are not accepted.
Sales of Artwork: I am responsible for all sales transactions and the collection and filing of applicable sales tax.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand all terms contained in the description for this Call for Art and the Artist Agreement and agree to be bound by the terms and stated expectations.
Waiver of Liability: Once I submit this form electronically or by paper copy, I (the artist), my heirs, successors, and assigns, shall indemnify and hold the RRA and appointed officers, volunteers, employees harmless from any and all claims, costs and liabilities for any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork at Downtowner Gallery, Williamson County Jester Annex, or Texas State University Round Rock. Our partners’ employees or contractors are likewise held harmless from any and all claims from the artist, heirs, successors or assigns from any artwork damage, personal injury, death, or other property damage, and related costs and liabilities, which is the result of handling and displaying the artwork.
ART SUBMISSION FORM
Form is Closed.