“The BIG Show”
Is bigger better? We think so!
Round Rock Arts is excited to be accepting entries for a juried exhibit featuring BIG works of art! Yes, we’re doing it again. We look forward to showcasing a wide range of mediums where your ideas take you to a place of EPIC proportions. Small-sized art is NOT welcome in this show, we’re sorry to say. (Please see details regarding minimum sizing below.)
This exhibit will be located in the expansive gallery at Texas State University Round Rock Campus, Avery Building (1555 University Blvd., Round Rock, TX).
Submission fee: $30 per artist, for up to 3 entries
Monetary prizes will be awarded.
Call deadline: 8/8/23 @5pm
Artist notification: 8/15/23
Drop off work: 8/28/23, 9a-11a
Show dates: 9/5/23 – 11/19/23
Pick up work: 11/19/23, 2-3p
Our Juror: Sonia Colonna Mathis
Sonia always knew she wanted to draw. She took every class she could and was encouraged by friends and family to extend her art studies in college. She attended The University of Texas at Austin and received a Bachelor of Fine Art in Studio Art in 1998.
She spent the next 10 years in the Williamson County Art Guild and served 2 years as their Gallery Chair. She spent 6 years working as a picture framer at The Framer’s Gallery in Georgetown, Texas and chose and hung the art shows for the business as well as showing in competitions, group shows, and solo exhibitions. Her work was primarily focused on dark humoristic portraits of animals while she experimented with varying media. It was said she had an expressive yet simple style of painting and drawing while developing complex conceptual art with a literary twist.
She opened her own art gallery and frame shop in 2010. Stinger Studio became known as the place to interact with quality work and up and coming as well as established professional artists.
This experience raised her awareness of how the public views art and she began to push for more information as she pushed the expressive art “envelope”, making her more popular with the public but less understood by the organizations running the public arts programs.
Sonia closed Stinger Studio in 2014 to reassess. More experimentation was in order, and she found that what she enjoyed most was number 1: making the public reconsider what they thought they knew about art and living with it, and number 2: helping others realize their own artistic expression by consulting on and most often working on projects for homes, businesses, and events. So she started her own annual interactive art exhibition centered around the Halloween holiday, so artists had the opportunity to explore their dark sides, which was up to this point not acceptable in the galleries in Georgetown. It’s always about awareness and acceptance. There is nothing truly jarring or frightening about the Haunted Art House, it’s just very different.
Sonia continues to meet with other artists and enthusiasts about creative projects and hopes to gain momentum on the production of interactive and cooperative art exhibits. She does commission work primarily out of her home art studio, but does show and sell her work in Georgetown, Texas.
Artisans Connect, Georgetown, Texas
Haunted Art House, October, Pop Up Venues
Summer Retro Sci Fi Show, Pop Up Venues begun 2023
Instagram as Sonia Colonna Mathis
Facebook as Sonia Colonna Mathis/ Haunted Art House/ Stinger Studio
Sonia Colonna Mathis
6818 North Lakewood Drive
Georgetown, Texas 78633
Artist rules and regulations:
- Artist rules and regulations:
- We accept only original works, created by the artist/entrant.
- Wearable art is not accepted.
- Do not submit work that has been displayed in a previous Round Rock Arts exhibit in the previous 2 years.
- Only submit work that is available to exhibit. Do not submit the same piece to multiple venues for the same dates.
- Art must remain at the exhibit for the entirety of the show. Early removal is not permitted.
- Entrants must be at least 16 years old at delivery of artwork. Parental consent required for artists under 18.
- Artwork must be hand delivered. (It may NOT be mailed or shipped.) No storage, either before drop-off dates or after pick-up dates, is available. Shipped art will be rejected at delivery.
- Art must be family friendly, as it will be displayed in a public space.
- Selected artists must agree to the Artist Agreement and Waiver of Liability.
The minimum size on any side is 24″. For example, 24×36 is acceptable, 48×48 is acceptable, but 24×18 is not.
Framed works must have gallery wrapped wire and D-rings. Saw-tooth hangers are not allowed. If the art piece has special requirements for display, the artist must supply clear instructions along with the display forms, rods, or implements for the gallery to use. Maximum weight is 25lbs for 2D. See video for hanging requirements and wiring guidelines CLICK HERE.
Quilts and similar:
The minimum size on any side is 24″.
Quilts must have a sleeve with a rod or slat for hanging. Most pieces will have to hang from one hook. TXST has a limited number of wires w/hooks. Very wide quilts will be able to hang with two hooks. Please state your hook requirements in the form. The curators will take that information into consideration during the selection process. Quilts do not require D-rings, but need to have hardware that works with a hook.
The minimum size on two sides is 24″.
For standalone pieces, max of 100lbs (including the pedestal, provided by the artist).
Larger pieces cannot exceed 5′ on the largest side (including pedestal, provided by artist).
Any artwork that is not ready to hang or does not follow the guidelines will be rejected.
Please bring plastic that you can lay your piece on before it is hung, if necessary. The plastic will not be returned to you.
Accepted artwork must be dropped off at the time listed. No early or late drop-off appointments are accepted.
Artwork must be labeled on the back with: Artist’s name, contact info, title of work, price (or “not for sale” if appropriate)
Info needed to apply:
Please have the following info ready to submit your work in the Application Form:
- Title of work
- Media used
- Size: Height x Length x Depth + Weight
- Any special hanging requirements (please see rules and guidelines for expectations)
- Is your art for sale? What is the dollar amount?
- Percentage to Round Rock Arts, minimum of 25%
- Upload a JPG file (1 for each submission): no more than 5MB. This is used for juror decisions and then, for social media. Provide the best you have!
Electronic submission procedures
- Please read the entry form carefully before filling in. All accepted entries will stay as-is and cannot be changed or corrected after submission.
- Label your photo file with and ARTWORK TITLE _YOUR LAST NAME: for example: Starry_Night_VanGogh.jpg
- Formats accepted: jpeg, png, or gif. Max = 5 MB per image.
- Each artist may submit 1, 2, or 3 images for $30.
- Complete the Artist Information and Waiver of Liability.
Because we do not have a sales commission, we kindly ask artists to donate 25% of SOLD WORK to RRA (indicate your willingness to donate on submission form). We truly appreciate your donation.
At TXST, because no one is there to monitor the show, we will have signage that says to contact the artist to transact a sale of the art in the exhibit. It is up to the artist to make the sale, collect the sales tax, make the donation to Round Rock Arts (if you indicated to do so), and schedule an exchange of the art piece with the collector after the exhibition is closed. The artist is expected to report income to the IRS. RRA is not liable for any unpaid income taxes.
- A buyer may not pick up the work until art pick up date/time as stated in the call.
- The buyer is expected to pick up the work at the pick up day and times OR the artist will need to make other arrangements between buyer and artist.
Parking at Texas State University Round Rock Campus:
Monday through Friday you must purchase a $5 parking pass at the parking kiosk or through the app.
Weekend parking is free and open Saturday 8am-3pm and Sunday 1pm-7pm.
See details here: https://www.parking.txstate.edu/round-rock.html#hours
Meet our jurors: TBD
Sorry. This form is no longer available.